Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Like A Weed…

April 21st, 2010

I’m convinced at this point that I grow nightly. Every morning when I wake up I swear I’m bigger. I’ve got less than 6 weeks to go. I’m starting to get more uncomfortable. It’s not a constant discomfort though and I’m thankful for that. Really it’s just the Braxton Hicks, the odd day of swelling, and the baby foot in the ribcage that makes me squirm here and there. I am getting more tired though. The energy drain is annoying and I struggle with the decision to just give into it or push through it. So far I’ve been pushing through it because the truth is I have a lot to do in the next 5 and half weeks. Mainly I’ve got to prepare for maternity leave.

It is so strange getting ready to leave my job. I have been working straight for the last 6 years, now I’m preparing to up and leave, not because I’m unhappy or because my employer is giving me the heave-ho (thank God), but because I’m having a baby. Luckily I work for a wonderful company that is extremely supportive and flexible, but it’s still weird. It’s weird knowing that I’ll be gone and everyone here will carry on without me.

Since I started my career in radio in 2001 I have only had one 8 month stretch where I was unemployed. It happened after the station I was working for (in Toronto) flipped formats. I was devastated at the time, but it turned out to be the best thing to ever happen to me. I took the package they gave me and travelled across Europe. Then I made my way back to my home town of Ottawa and landed myself a gig at The New HOT 89-9. I’ve been at HOT ever since, for 6 exciting years to be exact! Now, after 6 years I’m going to walk away from the station that up until this point I’ve considered to be my baby. Can I love two babies equally? I guess I’m about to find out. I guess I’m also about to find out how much my job has defined me over the last 6 years. Am I going to be lost without it? Once this baby comes into my life will work be the furthest thing from my mind? Only time will tell. One thing is for sure, whatever I’m feeling you’ll hear about it as I plan to continue this blog after the baby is born. It’s been such a great experience thus far, why not keep it going!

8 comments:

  1. Leaving work can be tough, but you sound like you have a whole family there. So it will never be completely out if your life, it will just be put aside while you enjoy the best possible job you could EVER have...motherhood! No matter how wonderful your job is, I truly believe that motherhood will always be #1. Soak in that maternity leave and every moment you have alone with your bundle of joy, because you will be dreading the fact that it is over when you go back to work later on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will you be coming back?
    Will you work at Hot89.9 after maternity leave?
    Hope so!!!!
    Please reply!!!~! GL - Good Luck!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Josie,

    I wish you all the best in your new job that you will have soon....it's the best job ever, and very fulfilling. You will see that having this little person counting on you and looking at you with tremendous love is the most rewarding!!!! I have two boys, my first baby just turned 15 and my second baby is 7 1/2 years old, and let me tell you, I look at my boys and am very proud of what they have become, and I am pretty proud of myself that I was able to raise my kids and they have become the people that they are!! I can't say enough about motherhood, you may find it hard to leave your family at work, but you will make it through, it will be harder to leave your baby once you go back to work!!! Trust me, I cried for a whole week, and both my boys were with my Mom!!!
    Anyhow, all the best, enjoy your time with your new bundle of joy, cherish every moment!!! and I hope that you post some pictures!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to hear you are going to continue this after your new bundle of joy arrives!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, that was harsh, Anon, I'm pretty sure Josie neither cares nor wants to hear it. And Jenni may be a laughtrack, but at least its a really great laugh.

    Just wondering though, is someone going to be doing your segment while you're gone? If so, who?

    "Once this baby comes into my life will work be the furthest thing from my mind?"

    Depends on how much sleep you've gotten the night before ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Anonymous, I'm sorry, but I had to delete your post. This is not a forum for negativity.

    Hi Sarah! Right now it looks like I'm going to be hooking Mauler up with all of my contacts so he can cover for me while I'm off. I will still be joining the show every once in a while though and will be back on mornings in September!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoy every single minute of your time with your baby! Every parent will tell you how fast it goes...and it does!!

    I agree with Sarah's comment above, there may be days you will LONG to be back at work and with people in the real (ie.non-baby) world but those moments, I am sure, will be few and far between!!

    Wishing you all the best:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Josie: I've really enjoyed reading your posts! My baby is now 22 but I do remember having many similar feelings about leaving my communications career to care for my little one. For what it's worth, I can assure you that your child will introduce you to many more interesting people and experiences in your life. Children have such a lovely way of helping us see the world through a different loving lens. Your experience working in radio has equipped you with the most important skills needed in parenting: creativity, great communicaton skills, ability to work under pressure, patience
    and best of all...an inherent sense of fun and good sense of humour! When I returned to work after my daughter was born, I was asked in an interview to describe the job I loved most and the most difficult job I had ever performed. I had one answer, "being a parent." I got the job and realized there are lots of other mothers and fathers who want to share their parenting experiences. Keep up the great posts Josie. All the best! Marion

    ReplyDelete