Thursday, April 1, 2010

The Final Ultrasound

April 1st, 2010

Today I am going for my final ultrasound. I am 32 weeks pregnant. It is absolute madness to me that in just two months I am going to be a mother. I almost feel the need to repeat that to myself so I start to believe it. “I’m going to be a mother. I’m going to be a mother, I’m going to be a mother”. Nope, that didn’t work. I still don’t really believe it. I’ve actually spoken to some mothers who have told me it didn’t sink in for them until a couple of weeks after giving birth. Almost like they were in a mysterious haze for the first two weeks. I’m trying not to speculate how I’ll be when our little guy joins the family. John and I know that whatever comes our way we’ll handle it. It’s really like everything else in life. None of us know what’s around the corner, but subconsciously we’re ready for it. That’s how we survive. I guess my tone sounds pretty serious. Don’t get me wrong, I am very excited, but the nerves may be a little more powerful when I really think about what’s quickly approaching. Maybe that’s why I don’t think about it that much. Throughout this entire pregnancy I’ve really just taken it one day at a time. For example, I haven’t even booked our prenatal classes yet. The way I look at it this baby is coming out one of two ways no matter what I do. Now some might think that’s the wrong attitude. In fact some people I know are surprised that I don’t have a midwife and a birth plan etc. I feel a bit bad for disappointing these people. So far I have no birth plan in place and I’m going with a boring ol’ doctor. Ha ha! Don’t worry, I’ll get my act together… maybe I’ll do that this weekend. I do actually think having a birth plan is a very good idea. It, at the very least, sets some goals for how the labour process will go. Mama ain’t raise no fool though… I know that when the day comes we may get some surprises that we didn’t plan for. At the end of it all the only thing I care about is that my baby boy is healthy. A healthy baby boy… I’ve got one coming… in two months… a baby! Crazy!

10 comments:

  1. My husband and I just found we are expecting and it is great to here that I am not alone. I read blogs and websites and no one talks about the fear you have of actually becoming a mother! A MOTHER! I too believe that the one day at a time approach is the best way to go or else one minute your thinking of changing diapers, the next you thinking about the high energy of a toddler to the struggle of teenage years!! Ahhhhhhh...remember one day at a time, right!

    Best of luck over the next couple months!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand what your saying! I'm 24 weeks, and somedays it doesn't even click that I'm pregnant. I mean, I'll be doing something simple like washing dishes, and all of a sudden it will hit me "I'm going to be a mother!" It's nuts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that fact that you are a mom sinks in pretty quick but in the most fabulous way! It will be the happiest time of your life and you will be on the biggest high! You will want to block out the whole entire world because yours is so happy that you just want to enjoy it. It will bother you when the phone rings and you have to take time away from your cutie, even if you are just watching him sleep… I wanted to put a moat in around our house and cut the phone lines….you will be so content that you will need nothing but your little baby and your big baby(John)  Enjoy because unfortunately, the world catches up with you….

    ReplyDelete
  4. We never had a birth plan. Never did the prenatal classes. We have 2 babies both born different. First one c-section. Second one natural. The nurses are wonderful and they will talk you through it. Best of luck. Love reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have 5 children all natural NO drugs at all. I know that not everyone can do this!! But the breathing classes helped a great deal and i only did it once, it sticks with you. Just don't let them give you Demoral late in labour it is not good for baby and not everyone will tell you this. I have heard Really good things about the Epis and it keeps the pain down after as well!! 1 more little tip get Daddy to speak to other fathers about the water breaking :) this was the most horrifying thing for my hubby and my best friend... Good luck you will do fine!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Take pics of you tummy as you grow!!!! you will love them later!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband and I did not have a birth plan and did not take any pre-natal classes for our first child, and the labor and delivery went fabulous! The nurses and doctors really take you through it step by step. I am now 21 weeks pregnant with our second and have decided to just let nature takes it course for this delivery to. Don't be scared, it is the most amazing adventure you will ever go on! Good luck with it all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Josie. From a mom of 3 I just want to tell you enjoy this time!! Seriously I cannot express this enough...best advice to take in. Go out for dinners with hubby, movies whatever, go out with friends for meet ups...just go out because this is YOUR time that you have, that later you wont have as much of. Yes this is a wonderful time, and it will be even after the baby, but a different level. It will be tough at times too. So get out there, enjoy this alone time while you still have it!! Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just want to mention...a Birthplan..is really only good for saying yay or nay to what you may want...example...mine said yes ill take the drugs im not a hero, i have no idea when because ive never had a baby before so i have no clue what i can handle. And it specified I DONT WANT FORCEPS LOL thats it. Just dont be afraid of whats to come..honestly go buy THE HAPPIEST BABY ON THE BLOCK..its a book of natural soothing for baby..never ever seen it NOT work.
    good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. it dosent matter what due date the doctors give u your baby will come out when he or she is ready and not before my first daughter was due may 5 i had her on the 16 daughter #2 was due july 31 she came on august 14 and daughter #3 was due on may 26 she decided to wait until june 6 to be born none of them wanted to come out to comfy in there i guess lol best of luck josie

    ReplyDelete