Wednesday, October 20, 2010

It Gets Better

If Evan is gay I will love him. It seems like a ridiculous statement, but the reality is there are many parents out there who do not love their children because they are gay. Can you imagine? Can you imagine being that child? Being abandoned by your parents, taunted by your peers, it would be enough to break even the strongest person, let alone a vulnerable child. Of course there are many gay children who grow up with loving parents, but sometimes that’s not enough. Sometimes the bullies hate overpowers the parents love. Sometimes a bright future can’t be seen through the dark cloud they find themselves in. In the past few months several gay children as young as 11 years old have committed suicide because they were bullied. If only someone could have been there in their moment of need to tell them it gets better.

3 comments:

  1. It really is utterly heartbreaking that this is the society we live in....

    My husband and I always say our future children will be amazed at this being such an issue - that there were people in the world that tried to come between two people loving each other, regardless of their sex. I couldn't imagine hiding who I was or who I loved ... and I don't think anyone should have to either.

    I have an uncle that I have never met in my 26 years of life - and I have been told he left the area we grew up in because it was a small community and he was gay and didn't want to deal with the scrutiny. I am hoping one day he will reach back out to me and see that not all of us are bigots or prejudice - and that I love him just the same.

    I respect and care for anyone as long as they are good people....you can be gay, straight, black, white, green, or purple - I don't care!

    I will accept anyone and everyone for who they are - deep down we are all so similar, we all bleed the same, and we are all human beings trying to survive on the same Earth.....enough with the hatred and chastising.

    We could make life a lot better for ourselves, others, and for our future generations if we just learn to get a long and accept people for who they are.

    It really DOES get better! Thanks Josie for putting focus on something so important - and to Hot for making a great PSA video! As usual you guys rock and continue to be my favourite station :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to say... It was (is) fun to read this. Bringing back lots of memories. (My boys are 15 and 12). You're doing a great thing... keeping these notes. I hope you will take the time, after a year of doing this, to copy all the text and shove it in a book (i.e. check out www.lulu.com for self publishing)... just for you to have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This video, as simple as it is, gave me goosebumps...who knew that a message like this would be so badly needed? Good for you guys for doing that!

    ReplyDelete